Montgomery began as a trading post about a mile north of its present site. Colonists, which included Stephen F. Austin and Owen and Margaret Montgomery Shannon, settled here on a land grant and did trading with the local Indians. Lots were advertised for sale in 1837 for the newly formed town, which touted it as the new center for a new county. Montgomery was the county seat until only 1889 when it was moved to Conroe. The first school opened here in 1839. The city was incorporated in 1848. Many beautiful homes were built during the 1850's. Many are still used and occupied even today. By 1900 many business had come into town. The town prospered, but when the county seat was moved to Conroe, much business went with it. Today Montgomery has retained its small, hometown feel. It is a quiet place with a great deal of history. Home tours are held by the Montgomery Historical Society. The Society may be reached at P.O. Box 513, Montgomery TX 77356 The founding of Montgomery: 1837
The population of Montgomery is approximately 356 (1990).
The amount of land area in Montgomery is 10.793 sq. kilometers.
The Texas Renaissance Festival is only 15 miles away and is held every October.
Copyright © 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 aprilsound.com All rights reserved.
Last modified: February 19, 2017